Skip to main content

If you are a citizen of one of the 36 countries with which Canada has bilateral agreements, and are 35 (30 for some countries) years of age or younger, you may be eligible for the Working Holiday category of the International Experience Class (“IEC”). This category is designed for youths who wish to travel in Canada and find temporary employment. Under this program, youths can obtain an initial 12 to 24 month open work permit that allows them to work anywhere in Canada for almost any Canadian employer.

This category of work permit is intended for individuals who:

  • Do not have a job offer
  • Want to work for more than one employer in Canada
  • Want to work in more than one location
  • Want to earn more so they can travel

To be eligible for the Working Holiday category, you must:

  • Be a citizen of one of the 36 countries
  • Have a valid passport for the duration of your stay in Canada
  • Be between the ages of 18 and 30/35 (inclusive)
  • Have a minimum of CAN$2,500 to help cover your expenses in Canada
  • Have health insurance for the duration of your stay—you may have to present evidence of this insurance when you enter Canada
  • Have, before departure, a round-trip ticket or demonstrate that you will have the financial resources to purchase a departure ticket at the end of your authorized stay in Canada
  • Pay the fees.

Leave a Reply